STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. – The Bears grabbed their second-straight win with a 6-5 victory over Wagner on Sunday afternoon as the Mercer men’s lacrosse team improved to 3-3 on the season in its final non-conference game.
HOW IT HAPPENED
After spending most of the first quarter scoreless, Lucas Wittenberg found the back of the net with 2:43 remaining to give the Bears a 1-0 advantage. Wagner scored the first two goals of the second period, taking a 2-1 lead with 10:56 left until halftime. Jake Sadd scored off an assist from Patrick deHueck, tying the game. Just 16 seconds later, Wagner retook the lead, 3-2, with 7:15 on the clock. Jake Nelson scored an unassisted goal, beating the buzzer and tying the game, 3-3, as the teams went into halftime.
Joshua Adams scored the Bears’ first goal of the second half and Wagner answered less than a minute later to tie the game for the fourth time, 4-4. Bryan Gibson dished the ball to Matt Quinn, who scored with 4:08 left in the third quarter to put Mercer up 5-4. The Seahawks knotted the score for the final time, 5-5, with 12:12 remaining in the game. It wasn’t until there was less than three minutes on the clock that Mercer took its final lead of the game off a goal from Gibson. The Bears held on to the 6-5 advantage as time wound down to wrap up the two-game road trip with a second win.
PLAYER OF THE GAME
Bradley Hodoval made a career-high 12 saves and grabbed a career-high five ground balls to anchor Mercer’s defense.
STAT OF THE GAME
Mercer won 10 of the 14 faceoffs, including 4-of-6 in the second quarter.
· Bryan Gibson led Mercer with a season-high two points off a goal and an assist.
· Jake Sadd tied his career highs of one point, one goal and two caused turnovers, while scooping up two ground balls.
· Joshua Adams scored the first goal of his career and also set a season high with one caused turnover.
· Jake Nelson scored a goal and grabbed a career-high three ground balls.
· Matt Quinn and Lucas Wittenberg each added a goal for the Bears.
· Patrick deHueck tied his career-highs of one assist and one point, while also notching a caused turnover.
· At the faceoff X, Kiel Brennan was 10-of-12, tying his career high in faceoff wins and setting a career high with an 83.3 winning percentage. He also had three ground balls.
· In goal, Bradley Hodoval made a career-high 12 saves and also grabbed a career-high and team-leading five ground balls.
· Walker Ensor tied his career high of four ground balls and also had a caused turnover.
· Mercer: 3-3, 0-0 SoCon
· Wagner: 4-4, 0-0 NEC
· Mercer: Hosts Air Force on Saturday, March 18 at 1 p.m.
· Wagner: At Hobart on Saturday, March 18 at 12 p.m.