BIRMINGHAM, Ala. – The Samford men's tennis team earned a 5-2 win over Presbyterian Monday afternoon at the Samford Tennis Center.
"Today was a tough test for us, and both teams competed very well," Samford head coach Rahim Esmail said. "We had to dig deep today to get the win. We needed to be much better on the doubles courts today, but we got off to a good start on four of the six singles courts, which made a big difference."
Presbyterian took the early lead by securing the doubles point. The Blue Hose won on the No. 2 and No. 3 courts, while Samford claimed victory on the No. 1 doubles court.
On the singles courts, Samford won the matches at No. 1, No. 2, No. 4, No. 5 and No. 6 to pull out the 5-2 victory. At No. 1 singles, Jake Faundez defeated Alexander Lykou, 7-5, 6-3. On the No. 2 court, Justin Ghavami earned a 6-3, 6-4 win over Alejandro Bejar.
At No. 4 singles, Rossouw Norval defeated Jaime Castillo-Lopez, 6-0, 6-3. Aleksandar Petrovic defeated Daniel Stenger, 6-4, 7-5 at No. 5 singles. At No. 6 singles, Max Rebol earned a 4-6, 6-2, 6-4 victory over Will Baird.
"We did a lot of good things on the singles courts today and played with confidence at crunch time," Esmail said. "We have some tough matches ahead of us and we are looking forward to competing again this weekend."
With the win, Samford improves to 4-2 on the season. Presbyterian falls to 3-7 with the loss.
Samford will return to action on Friday, Feb. 23, when the Bulldogs play at South Alabama. The match is set for a 2 p.m. start from Mobile, Ala.
Samford 5, Presbyterian 2
1. Jake Faundez (SAM-M) def. Alexander Lykou (PC) 7-5, 6-3
2. Justin Ghavami (SAM-M) def. Alejandro Bejar (PC) 6-3, 6-4
3. Brandon Mills (PC) def. Eduardo Lourido (SAM-M) 6-4, 6-4
4. Rossouw Norval (SAM-M) def. Jaime Castillo-Lopez (PC) 6-0, 6-3
5. Aleksandar Petrovic (SAM-M) def. Daniel Stenger (PC) 6-4, 7-5
6. Max Rebol (SAM-M) def. Will Baird (PC) 4-6, 6-2, 6-4
1. Jake Faundez/Eduardo Lourido (SAM-M) def. Alexander Lykou/Brandon Mills (PC) 7-5
2. Alejandro Bejar/Jaime Castillo-Lopez (PC) def. Rossouw Norval/Aleksandar Petrovic (SAM-M) 6-2
3. Daniel Stenger/Will Baird (PC) def. Max Rebol/Justin Ghavami (SAM-M) 6-4