DURHAM, N.C. -- Third-ranked Duke downed Furman, 4-0, Friday in the opening round of the 2018 NCAA Women's Tennis Team Championships at the Ambler Tennis Stadium in Durham, N.C.
The Blue Devils won two of three doubles matches to take the opening point. The ninth-ranked Duke duo of Kaitlyn McCarthy and Ellyse Hamlin topped sophomore Katarina Kozarov and senior Aryn Greene, 6-3, at flight one. Samantha Harris and Kelly Chen, who are ranked sixth nationally in doubles, beat sophomore Danni Vines and junior Katty Weymouth, 6-3, at number two. The flight three contest was unfinished.
In singles, McCarthy, who is ranked 116th nationally, topped Weymouth, 6-2, 6-0, at flight two, and No. 28 Chen defeated Vines, 6-1, 6-1, at flight three. Hamlin, ranked 84th nationally, held off freshman Carol Elizabeth Kerman, 6-4, 6-0.
Matches at flights one, five, and six were unfinished. At flight one, No. 55 Meible Chi outlasted Kozarov, 7-6(6), in a tiebreaker in the first set, and at flight five, Hanna Zhao held a 7-5, 1-0 advantage over freshman Georgie Walker. In the flight six match up, Rebecca Smaller led senior Gabby Rodriguez, 6-4, 3-2.
Furman (20-9, 7-0 SoCon), which secured the Southern Conference's automatic bid to the NCAA tournament by capturing its 18th SoCon Championship, made its second-straight and 11th overall appearance in the NCAA tournament.
#3 Duke 4, Furman 0
May 11, 2018 at Durham, N.C. (Ambler Tennis Stadium)
1. #55 Meible Chi (DUKE) vs. Katarina Kozarov (FUR) 7-6 (8-6), unfinished
2. #116 Kaitlyn McCarthy (DUKE) def. Katty Weymouth (FUR) 6-2, 6-0
3. #28 Kelly Chen (DUKE) def. Danni Vines (FUR) 6-1, 6-1
4. #84 Ellyse Hamlin (DUKE) def. Carol Eliz. Kerman (FUR) 6-4, 6-0
5. Hannah Zhao (DUKE) vs. Georgie Walker (FUR) 7-5, 0-1, unfinished
6. Rebecca Smaller (DUKE) vs. Gabby Rodriguez (FUR) 6-4, 3-2, unfinished
1. #9 Kaitlyn McCarthy/Ellyse Hamlin (DUKE) def. Katarina Kozarov/Aryn Greene (FUR) 6-3
2. #6 Samantha Harris/Kelly Chen (DUKE) def. Danni Vines/Katty Weymouth (FUR) 6-3
3. Meible Chi/Hannah Zhao (DUKE) vs. Carol Eliz. Kerman/Gabby Rodriguez (FUR) 5-3, unfinished
Duke University Women's Tennis 23-3; National ranking #3
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2); Singles (3,2,4)
NCAA First Round Match played in Ambler Tennis Stadium in Durham, N.C.
Duke advances to play Oregon on Saturday at 3 pm
Official: Mark Raynes T-2:01 A-134