LAKE CHARLES, La. – Samford's Kolby Holcombe notched the first hit of the season for the Bulldogs in the season opening 8-0 loss at McNeese State in the first game of the Cowgirl Classic Thursday evening.
FROM THE BOX SCORE
- Holcombe's single through the left side in the third inning was the freshman catcher's first career hit.
- Holcombe was 1-for-2 at the plate in her collegiate debut.
- Annalyn Yantis (0-1) tossed 3.0 innings, allowing seven runs, five earned, on eight hits to take the loss in the circle for Samford.
- Justyce McClain and Alexandria Saldivar each went 3-for-4 with an RBI to lead McNeese State at the plate.
- Alexsandra Flores (1-0) pitched 5.0 innings, allowing no runs on one hit to earn the win for the Cowgirls.
- The Cowgirls scored three runs in the first inning highlighted by a two-run single by Cori McCrary.
- McNeese State added another run in the second inning and one in the third before tacking on two more in the fourth.
- McNeese ended the game in the fifth inning after an RBI single by Saldivar for the 8-0 win.
Samford will continue the Cowgirl Classic Friday with a pair of games. The Bulldogs will open the day with Lipscomb at 12:30 p.m. and McNeese State again at 5:30 p.m.