GREENSBORO, N.C. – Stephanie Bryden (5-3) threw a four-hit shutout with 11 strikeouts as UNC Greensboro softball (5-5) defeated Oakland (1-4) 5-0 in its 2019 home-opener at UNCG Softball Stadium Tuesday evening. Bryden allowed only five batters to reach base with just one walk allowed.
The Spartans grabbed the lead in the second inning. Jordan Gontram led off with a walk and went to second base on a passed ball. After advancing to third base on a long fly out to right field by Kayleigh Willis, Gontram scored on single to centerfield by Melanie Darges.
UNCG had its biggest scoring output in the next inning. Makenna Matthijs reached second base on a fielding error by the second baseman and scored on a double to left center by Bryden. Marisa Sholtes then delivered an RBI-double to left field. With two outs, Willis had the third RBI-double of the inning to centerfield.
The Spartans’ last run was on a leadoff homer by Gontram to left field in the fifth inning.
The Spartans hosts their annual tournament, the UNCG Invitational, Friday-Sunday. UNCG will welcome Longwood, Iona and Northern Kentucky and play its first game of the tournament against the Lancers Friday at noon.
News and Notes
- Bryden has all five wins in the circle for the Spartans and thrown three complete games this season.
- The 12-strikeout performance was the eighth game of her career with at least 10 strikeouts.
- 9 Spartans collected hits.
- 7 of the 12 hits by UNCG were doubles.
- Matthijs, Sholtes and Darges all finished with two hits. Both of Sholtes and Matthijs’ hits were doubles.
- The Spartans recorded at least 10 hits for the third game of the year.
-- UNCG –