OXFORD, Ala. – The Samford softball team dropped a 3-2 decision to in-state rival Jacksonville State Wednesday afternoon at Choccolocco Park.
With the loss, Samford falls to 5-12 on the season. Jacksonville State improves to 8-4 with the win.
FROM THE BOX SCORE
- Madison Couch led Samford at the plate, going 1-for-3 with a double and two RBI.
- Timberlyn Shurbutt, Maddie Dorsett and Merritt Cahoon also had a hit each for Samford.
- Taylor DeCelles (0-6) took the loss in the circle for Samford, pitching 6.0 innings, allowing three runs on two hits.
- Hayley Sims went 2-for-2 with an RBI to lead Jacksonville State at the plate.
- Faith Sims (6-0) tossed 7.0 innings, giving up two runs on four hits to earn the win for the Gamecocks.
- Sanford plated two runs in the top of the first inning to take an early 2-0 lead. Couch doubled to left-center field to drive in Dorsett and Shurbutt for the first two runs of the game.
- Jacksonville State came back with three runs in the bottom of the second inning to take a 3-2 lead. Karsen Mosley scored the first run on a Samford error. Savannah Sudduth then scored when Jada Terry reached base on a fielder's choice to tie the score. Sims then doubled to drive in Terry to give the Gamecocks the lead.
Samford will host its second home tournament of the season this weekend. Games are scheduled for Friday, Saturday and Sunday. To follow all of the action, click here: Follow Softball.