The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga men's tennis team dropped a 4-2 match to Kennesaw State at the Baylor School's Guerry Tennis Center in Chattanooga today. UTC won the doubles point and one singles bout in the loss.
Prior to the match, both head coaches agreed to play clinch instead of finishing all matches once the outcome was decided. That didn't matter in doubles, which was a tight battle for the opening point.
KSU struck first when Harvey Maughan and Lucas deTorres Curth defeated senior Pablo Llebeili and sophomore Jacob Marshall 6-2. The Mocs evened things up when junior Simon Bustamante and freshman Kerimm Hyatt posted a 6-4 win at No. 1 over Gaston Muhammad and Fermin Barcelo.
Junior Niklas Gerdes and freshman Tomas Rodriguez took the point with their 7-5 win at No. 2 over Bryan Triana and Drew Lahey. It was the third win in a row for Bustamante and Hyatt, who moved to 8-4 at No. 1. Gerdes and Rodriguez posted their sixth-straight win to improve to 10-1.
The Mocs went up 2-0 when Rodriguez won at No. 2. It was his seventh-consecutive win in singles as he improved to 10-4 in the second spot.
That was all the scoring UTC could put together as the Owls won the next four singles matches to take the win. Marshall was up a set and tied 1-1 in the second at No. 6 when the team outcome was settled.
Chattanooga falls to 8-6 overall while KSU evens its record at 3-3. UTC's weekend schedule is likely to change due to inclement weather, so be sure to check back to GoMocs.com on Thursday for a complete update.
Kennesaw State 4, Chattanooga 2
03/06/2019 at Chattanooga, Tenn. (Guerry Tennis Center)
1. Fermin Calvo Barcelo (KSU) def. Niklas Gerdes (UTC) 6-3, 7-5
2. Tomas Rodriguez (UTC) def. Bryan Triana (KSU) 6-3, 6-2
3. Lucas deTorres Curth (KSU) def. Kerim Hyatt (UTC) 6-4, 6-2
4. Sebastian Osorio (KSU) def. Simon Bustamante (UTC) 6-4, 7-5
5. Cian Maguire (KSU) def. Pablo Llebeili (UTC) 6-2, 6-4
6. Jacob Marshall (UTC) vs. Harvey Maughan (KSU) 6-4, 1-1, unfinished
1. Simon Bustamante/Kerim Hyatt (UTC) def. Gaston Muhammad/Fermin Calvo Barcelo (KSU) 6-4
2. Niklas Gerdes/Tomas Rodriguez (UTC) def. Bryan Triana/Drew Lahey (KSU) 7-5
3. Harvey Maughan/Lucas deTorres Curth (KSU) def. Pablo Llebeili/Jacob Marshall (UTC) 6-2
Kennesaw State 4-4
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (2,4,3,1,5)