BIRMINGHAM, Ala. – The Samford softball team hit a combined six home runs in a doubleheader sweep of Tennessee Tech Tuesday evening at the Samford Softball Stadium. Samford won the first game, 12-8. The Bulldogs then took game two by a score of 11-3 in five innings.
With the sweep, Samford improves to 11-21 on the season. Tennessee Tech falls to 10-11 with the losses.
SAMFORD 12, TENNESSEE TECH 8
FROM THE BOX SCORE
- In game one Kathryn Jackson went 2-for-3 with two home runs and three RBI to lead Samford at the plate.
- Madison Couch went 2-for-4 with a home run and two RBI.
- Merritt Cahoon hit the first home run of her college career, going 1-for-2 with two RBI.
- McKenna Gillespie (3-3) pitched 5.0 innings, giving up eight runs on nine hits to earn the win in the circle for Samford.
- For Tennessee Tech, Sydney Love-Baker went 2-for-4 with a grand slam and four RBI.
- Jessie Lowery also homered, going 1-for-2 with three RBI.
- Alyssa Arden (7-3) took the loss in the circle for the Golden Eagles, tossing 4.0 innings and giving up seven runs on six hits.
- After Tennessee Tech took a 4-0 lead with four runs in the top of the second inning, Samford came back with three runs in the bottom of the inning. Jackson led the inning off with a home run. Cahoon then scored on an error, and Kelsey Royalty later scored on a wild pitch to cut the lead to 4-3.
- Samford took the lead for good with three runs in the bottom of the third inning. Couch singled to drive in Maddie Dorsett with the first run of the inning. Jackson then hit a two-run home run to give Samford a 6-4 lead.
- After Tennessee Tech cut the lead to 6-5 with a run in the fourth inning, Samford plated six runs in the fifth inning to push the lead to 12-5. Couch hit a solo home run and Cahoon hit a two-run shot for the first three runs. Dorsett later drove in a run and Whitney Hinton drove in two runs.
- Tennessee Tech plated three final runs in the sixth inning to make the final score 12-8.
SAMFORD 11, TENNESSEE TECH 3 (5 inn.)
FROM THE BOX SCORE
- Jackson went 3-for-3 with a home run and three RBI in the second game.
- Cahoon went 2-for-3 with a grand slam and four RBI.
- Annalyn Yantis (1-5) earned the win for Samford, pitching 5.0 innings, giving up three runs on five hits.
- Haeli Bryson went 1-for-2 with a home run and three RBI to lead Tennessee Tech.
- Callie Piper (0-1) took the loss, pitching 3.0 innings, allowing six runs on six hits.
- In the second inning, Hannah Trombley scored from third base when Royalty struck out, but reached base on a wild pitch for a 1-0 Samford lead.
- Samford added five runs in the third inning to push its lead to 6-0. Hinton doubled to drive in Grayson King for the first run of the inning. Cahoon then hit her grand slam to left field for a six-run Samford lead.
- After Tennessee Tech plated three runs in the top of the fourth inning, Samford added one in the bottom of the inning to push its lead to 7-3. Jackson homered to left field, her third of the day, joining her two from the first game.
- Samford plated four more runs in the bottom of the fifth inning to end the game at 11-3. The game-ending runs came when Jackson singled to left field to drive in Ashlyn Barned and Mekhi Mayfield.
Samford will open Southern Conference play with a three-game series at UNCG this weekend. The teams are scheduled to play a doubleheader Saturday at 12 p.m. (CT), and a single game Sunday, also at 12 p.m. (CT).