CULLOWHEE, N.C. – Western Carolina softball dropped a pair of games to Gardner-Webb 9-7, 5-1 Tuesday at the Catamount Softball Complex.
Score: Gardner-Webb 9, Western Carolina 7; Gardner-Webb 5, Western Carolina 1
Records: Western Carolina 10-17, Gardner-Webb 20-11
Location: Catamount Softball Complex, Cullowhee, N.C.
Gardner-Webb 9, Western Carolina 7
Tied at seven after five innings, Gardner-Webb took the lead off a two-run home run in the top of the sixth. The Runnin’ Bulldogs never relinquished the lead again.
How it Happened
- Gardner-Webb took the early lead scoring a run in the top of the first.
- Freshman Bailey Huneycutt hit an RBI triple in the bottom of the second to tie the game at one scoring Kailey McNeilwho reached on a Gardner-Webb error.
- Western Carolina exploded for five runs in the bottom of the third taking the lead 6-1. It all started when Myra Twittydrew a lead-off walk and Ashlyn Long followed with a single. With one out, Hunter Gibbons has issued a walk to load the bases. Madison Armstrong beat out a single to second base for the RBI and kept the bases loaded. McNeil was hit by a pitch to score the second run of the inning. Addie Pate’s RBI single scored Gibbons for the third run and an RBI single by Erica Hayes as Armstrong also scored on the play to close out the scoring for the Catamounts.
- Gardner-Webb made things interesting in the top of the fourth hitting three homeruns in the inning to cut the WCU lead to 6-4.
- Long got one run back hitting a solo home run in the bottom of the fourth.
- Gardner-Webb tied things up in the top of the fifth with a three-run home run.
- The Runnin’ Bulldogs took the lead off a two-run home run in the top of the sixth.
- Western Carolina attempted a rally in the bottom of the seventh with singles by Hunter Gibbons and Kailey McNeilplacing runners on first and second. Pinch hitter Cheyenne Mathews patiently drew a walk to load the bases but a ground out ended the Catamounts’ comeback attempt.
Inside the Box Score
- There was a 42-minute rain delay with one out in the top of the seventh inning.
- Gardner-Webb hit five home runs in the game.
- Junior Kinsey Liscio got the start and went 3.1 innings allowing four runs on five hits and struck out four. She left with the Catamounts leading and got the no-decision.
- Kayla Brewer replaced Liscio and went 1.1 innings allowing three runs on one hit.
- Brewer was lifted for Kylie Shay who closed out the game. She entered the game with the score tied at seven and gave up the go-ahead runs to Gardner-Webb. She takes the loss falling to 0-2 on the year after tossing 2.1 innings.
- Long had a pair of hits, a home run and scored two runs.
Gardner-Webb 5, Western Carolina 1
Gardner-Webb scored one run in the third and a pair in the fifth which turned out the be the game-clincher.
How it Happened
- Gardner-Webb broke open a scoreless game with a run in the top of the third.
- The Runnin’ Bulldogs added two runs in the top of the fifth.
- Erica Hayes’ RBI doubles in the bottom of the fifth plated a run for the Catamounts as they trailed 3-1.
- Gardner-Webb tacked on two more runs in the top of the seventh.
- The Catamounts again attempted a rally in the seventh, like in game one, but stranded a pair of runners at second and third to end the game.
Inside the Box Score
- Western Carolina had runners in scoring position in six of the seven innings.
- The Catamounts had four hits in the game while Gardner-Webb had seven.
- Huneycutt had two of Western Carolina’s four hits.
- Reed got the start and tossed a 6.1 innings giving up five runs on seven hits and striking out five. She takes the loss in the game falling to 2-9 on the year.
- Shay closed out the game coming into the contest with one out in the seventh. She walked one batter and then forced a groundout that was turned into a double play to get out of the inning.
News & Notes
- Gibbons pushed her on-base streak to 10 games while her consecutive games with a hit were halted at seven in game two against Gardner-Webb. Her streak of reaching base in 10 straight games is a season-high for the team.
- Huneycutt is on a four-game hit streak.
- Western Carolina is suffering through a six-game losing streak.
- Five of the Catamounts last six games have been decided by two runs.
Western Carolina will play its second mid-week game hosting Charlotte a pair of games Wednesday beginning at 4 p.m. at the Catamount Athletic Complex.