BIRMINGHAM, Ala. – The Samford softball team dropped a 6-2 decision to cross-town rival UAB Tuesday night at the Samford Softball Stadium.
The game was Samford's Teal Game, supporting people fighting ovarian cancer. Samford's record drops to 21-27 with the loss. UAB improves to 16-30 with the win.
FROM THE BOX SCORE
- Whitney Hinton homered and drove in one run for Samford in the loss.
- Ashlyn Barnes and Ryan Brzozoski had two hits each.
- Kelsey Royalty scored a run as well for the Bulldogs.
- Annalyn Yantis (4-8) pitched 4.0 innings, giving up four runs on six hits to take the loss for the Bulldogs.
- Dylinn Stancil went 2-for-4 with a home run and two RBI to lead the Blazers at the plate.
- Natalie Erwin also homered for UAB.
- Bailie Barnes (2-2) pitched 4.0 innings, giving up one run on three hits to earn the win for UAB.
- Emily Kachel picked up her first save of the season, tossing the final 3.0 innings, giving up one run on two hits.
- UAB scored two runs in the first inning and one in the fourth to take a 3-0 lead.
- Samford came back with a run in the bottom of the fourth inning to cut the lead to 3-1. Royalty scored on a double steal to put Samford on the scoreboard.
- The Blazers added a run in the top of the fifth inning to push its lead to 4-1.
- UAB plated two more runs in the seventh inning to make the score 6-1.
- Samford added one final run in the bottom of the seventh on a home run by Hinton to make the final score 6-2.
Samford will wrap up its regular season with a three-game series at Chattanooga this weekend. The teams are scheduled to play a single game Saturday at 6 p.m. (CT) and a doubleheader Sunday at 11 a.m. (CT).