Oct. 5 (Saturday)
*VMI at The Citadel (Nexstar/ESPN+), 2 p.m.
*#14/14 Furman at Samford (ESPN+), 3 p.m.
Gardner-Webb at Western Carolina (ESPN+), 3:30 p.m.
*Wofford at ETSU (ESPN3), 3:30 p.m.
*Chattanooga at Mercer (ESPN+), 4 p.m.
* Southern Conference game
ESPN3 and ESPN+ are available on Roku
Nexstar affiliates for this week's Ingles SoCon Game of the Week
• This week's Southern Conference slate features league leaders Furman and Samford squaring off with their 2-0 conference marks on the line, ETSU hosting Wofford in a battle of reigning SoCon tri-champions, and VMI visiting The Citadel in The Military Classic of the South.
• The Keydets and the Bulldogs will battle for the Silver Shako in the Ingles SoCon Game of the Week. The Citadel, which dropped out of the national rankings from No. 25 after its 61-55, four-overtime loss at Samford on Sept. 28, has won 12 straight in the series against VMI, which dates back to 1920.
• The Citadel's Brandon Rainey accounted for five TDs in the loss to Samford, running for 65 yards and three scores and throwing for 196 yards and two TDs on an efficient 6-for-7 effort. His 84-yard touchdown throw to Raleigh Webb tied for the second-longest in school history.
• VMI quarterback Reece Udinski has yet to throw an interception this season. With a clean 25-for-38 effort against Wofford on Sept. 28, Udinski surpassed the SoCon record for consecutive passes without an INT in a single season, running his season totals to 130-for-217. He enters Saturday's contest at The Citadel just one pass attempt shy of former Elon QB Scott Riddle's SoCon career record of 218 consecutive passes without an interception, established from 2008-09.
• Furman won its second straight to open league play Sept 28 against ETSU, getting a 1-yard touchdown plunge from Devin Wynn to open the fourth quarter en route to a 17-10 win. Furman, ETSU and Wofford all shared the regular-season SoCon title last season, meaning the Bucs will face defending champions in consecutive weeks.
• Four league teams surpassed the 50-point plateau last time out, with Samford downing then-No. 25 The Citadel 61-55 in four overtimes, Wofford dropping VMI 51-36 and Chattanooga topping Western Carolina 60-36.
• Furman moved up to No. 14 in both major national polls, advancing one spot in the AFCA FCS Coaches' Top 25 and two in the STATS poll.
• Samford, which hosts the Paladins on Saturday, has won four straight against ranked opponents, dating back to last season. The Bulldogs beat then-No. 22/21 Wofford earlier this season to open SoCon play.
• With a 49-10 win over Gardner-Webb on Sept. 21, Wofford has scored exactly 100 points in its last two games.
• Two SoCon student-athletes ran for more than 200 yards on Sept. 28, with Western Carolina's Connell Young going for 217 in the loss to UTC and Alex Ramsey running for 207 with three TDs against Wofford. Young's effort was the 14th 200-yard effort in school history, while Ramsey was VMI's first 200-yard rusher since 2008 and just the eighth in school history.
• Chattanooga had a pair of 100-yard rushers in the win over Western Carolina, with freshman Ailym Ford running for 195 yards and Elijah Ibitokun-Hanks running for 125, with both scoring a pair of TDs on the ground. Wide receiver Bryce Nunnelly also had 100 yards receiving and a TD on just four catches.
• Mercer redshirt freshman Deondre Johnson ran for 177 yards and a TD in the Bears' 34-27 loss to Campbell on Sept. 28. Mercer ran for 323 yards on the day.
• Samford quarterback Chris Oladokun and The Citadel linebacker Willie Eubanks III were named the SoCon offensive and defensive players of the month, respectively, Thursday.