KNOXVILLE, Tenn. – To conclude their opening weekend of the 2018 season, the Bucs fell to the Memphis Tigers 4-0 in Knoxville, Tenn.
Memphis picked up the doubles point with back-to-back wins. Alejandra Morales (Santiago, Chile) and Andrea Pascual-Larrinaga (Basauri, Spain) combined at the No. 3 doubles and picked up a 7-5 victory, but Memphis had already clinched the doubles point.
In singles action, Memphis’ Cao sisters defeated Alejandra Morales 6-2, 6-1 and Melissa Esguerra (Derrimutt, Australia) 6-1, 6-1 to give the Tigers a 3-0 edge. Anki Wind took on ETSU’s Andrea Pascual-Larrinaga and won the first set 6-0. Pascual-Larringa battled in the second set, but ultimately fell 7-5 to Wind as the Tigers would win the match.
Before the match ended, Ioanna Markesini (Athens, Greece) won her first set 6-3 and was in the middle of winning her second set, but the score remained at 3-5. Alory Pereira (Sao Paulo, Brazil) and Yi Chi Ma (Kaohsiung, Taiwan) also competed in singles before the match had ended.
The Bucs return to action when they host Tusculum in their home opener on Saturday, Feb. 3.
Memphis 4, ETSU 0
1. Sohn (MEM) vs. Markesini (ETSU) 3-6, 3-5 unfinished
2. Bente (MEM) vs. Pereira (ETSU) 7-5, 1-2 unfinished
3. Wind (MEM) def. Pascual-Larrinaga (ETSU) 6-0, 7-5
4. Sullivan (MEM) vs. Chi Ma (ETSU) 6-3, 5-2 unfinished
5. K. Cao (MEM) def. Esguerra (ETSU) 6-1, 6-1
6. J. Cao (MEM) def. Morales (ETSU) 6-2, 6-1
Order of finish: 6, 5, 3
1. Bente/Wind (MEM) def. Markesini/Pereira (ETSU) 7-5
2. Sohn/K. Cao (MEM) def. Chi Ma/Esguerra 6-0
3. Morales/Pascual-Larrinaga (ETSU) def. Sullivan/J. Cao (MEM) 7-5
Order of finish: 2, 1, 3