MILWAUKEE, Wis. –The ETSU men’s tennis team fell short against the Marquette Eagles on Thursday night at the Helfaer Tennis Stadium, 4-3. The Bucs fall to 2-2, as Marquette improves to 1-1.
After a back and forth battle in doubles, Marquette picked up the point to grab the 1-0 advantage. Robert Herrera (Barcelona, Spain) and Tasei Miyamoto (Chiba, Japan) combined to blow past Greg Anderson and Luis Heredia Gomez, 6-0. With the doubles point tied, Miguel Este (Caracas, Venezuela) and Sergi Fontcuberta (Barcelona, Spain) battled, but fell 6-4 to Scott Christian and Luke Smrek.
David Gonzalez (Barcelona, Spain) tied the match for the Bucs after defeating Eddie Griesedieck 6-2, 6-4. The Bucs took the lead after Robert Herrera won his match 6-4, 6-4 over Alvaro Verdu. Marquette’s Greg Anderson defeated Tasei Miyamoto to once again even the match. Sergi Fontcuberta gave the Bucs the advantage after an intense 6-2, 3-6, 6-3 win over Brett Meyers. At the No. 3 spot, Frazier Rengifo (Cali, Colombia) pushed a third set, but fell 6-2, 4-6, 6-2 and Juan Lugo (Maracay, Venezuela) was defeated 7-6, 6-3, as the Golden Eagles pulled out the 4-3 win.
The Bucs return to action this Saturday, Feb. 3 at Wisconsin. The match is scheduled for 2:00 p.n. (ET).
FINAL: Marquette 4, ETSU 3
- Robert Herrera (ETSU) def. Alvaro Verdu (MU) 6-4, 6-4
- Luke Smrek (MU) def. Juan Lugo (ETSU) 7-6, 6-3
- Luis Heredia Gomez (MU) def. Frazier Rengifo (ETSU) 6-2, 4-6, 6-2
- Sergi Fontcuberta (ETSU) def. Brett Meyers (MU) 6-2, 3-6, 6-3
- Greg Anderson (MU) def. Tasei Miyamoto (ETSU) 6-4, 6-2
- David Gonzalez (ETSU) def. Eddie Griesedieck (MU) 6-2, 6-4
- Alvaro Verdu/Brett Meyers (MU) def. Juan Lugo/Frazier Rengifo (ETSU) 6-0
- Robert Herrera/Tasei Miyamoto (ETSU) def. Greg Anderson/Luis Heredia Gomez (MU) 6-0
- Scott Christian/Luke Smrek (MU) def. Miguel Este/Sergi Fontcuberta (ETSU) 6-4
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (6,1,5,4,3,2)