GREENSBORO, N.C. – UNCG men’s tennis posted another dominant victory Friday afternoon. The Spartans defeated the Campbell Camels, 6-1 at the Piedmont Indoor Tennis Center. UNCG narrowly took the doubles point before dominating the singles competition, surrendering just one point. The Spartans improve to 2-1 on the season, while Campbell falls to 2-3. In the last two matches, UNCG has outscored its opponents, 13-1.
UNCG earned the highly contested doubles point. After Connor Thompson (Atlanta, Ga./Holy Innocents) and Ian Melnik (Lawrenceville, Ga./Rivers Academy) dropped the match at No. 1, Logan Walker (Stuart, Fla./Morningside Academy) teamed with Nico Grewe (Raleigh, N.C./Wakefield) to knock off Fernando Clemente and Louis Monterosso, 7-6 (1) at No. 3 level the competition. Jack Burkill (London, Great Britain/Millfield School) and Marcus Vidgren (Stockholm, Sweden/Stockholm Idrotts Gymnasium) knocked off Gerard Sola and Jonathan O’Neal, 7-5 at No. 2 to earn the initial point in the match.
Singles play saw Thompson, Vidgren and Ollie Palmer (Twyning, Great Britain/St. Peter’s) registered wins at No. 1-3, respectively, all in straight sets. Burkill and Melnik took their opponents to three sets before registering victories. Melnik won his first set 6-2 before falling in set two, 6-3. In the third set, Melnik trailed 4-1 before coming all the way back to earn a 7-5 victory in the final set.
- Connor Thompson (UNCG) def. LABIK, Ondrej (CAM) 6-1, 6-3
- Marcus Vidgren (UNCG) def. WERNER, Dustin (CAM) 6-1, 6-2
- Ollie Palmer (UNCG) def. SOLA, Gerard (CAM) 6-2, 6-3
- SCHWAB, Lorenz (CAM) def. Daniel Hammarstedt (UNCG) 6-4, 6-3
- Ian Melnik (UNCG) def. SCHAEFER, Lukas (CAM) 6-2, 3-6, 7-5
- Jack Burkill (UNCG) def. CLEMENTE, Fernando (CAM) 3-6, 6-2, 1-0 (5)
- WERNER, Dustin/SCHWAB, Lorenz (CAM) def. Connor Thompson/Ian Melnik (UNCG) 6-4
- Jack Burkill/Marcus Vidgren (UNCG) def. SOLA, Gerard/O'NEAL, Jonathan (CAM) 7-5
- Logan Walker/Nico Grewe (UNCG) def. CLEMENTE, Fernando/MONTEROSSO, Louis (CAM) 7-6 (1)