Chattanooga, Tenn. –
No. 1 ETSU 4, No. 8 The Citadel 0
No. 5 Samford 4, No. 4 UNCG 3
No. 2 Mercer 4, No. 7 Chattanooga 0
No. 3 Furman 4, No. 6 Wofford 0
- ETSU and Mercer advanced to the semifinals with identical 4-0 wins. The win over The Citadel marks the fourth consecutive year ETSU has advanced to the semifinals with a 4-0 win while Mercer advances past the quarterfinals for the second consecutive year.
- With his 4-6, 6-2, 6-0 win at No. 1 singles, Southern Conference Player of the Year Connor Thompson of UNCG finished the 2018 season 8-0 against Southern Conference competition.
- Samford’s thrilling 4-3 win over UNCG took 3 hours and 45 minutes. It is the Bulldogs’ first appearance in the semifinals since 2016. Samford is seeking its first tournament championship since 2013.
- For the second consecutive year, three of the four quarterfinal matches finished with a score of 4-0.
- In-state rivals Furman and Wofford’s first-round matchup marked the first time since the 2007 tournament and just the second time ever that the two teams faced each other in tournament. Furman won the previous meeting 4-0.
- For the second year in a row, Mercer and Furman will square off in the semifinal round. Mercer took last year’s meeting 4-3. The Bears claimed a 4-3 win in the regular season matchup this season.