DOVER, Del. – Kate Leone, Caitlin Smith and Eva Thorn all recorded hat tricks in a 23-2 win over Southern Conference foe Delaware State on Friday afternoon.
The Bears (7-10, 3-2 SoCon) closed out their regular season with a victory and clinched a winning record in conference action while holding the host Hornets to just two goals.
HOW IT HAPPENED
Eva Thorn set the tone for the one-sided contest with her first goal of the afternoon less than a minute and a half into the first half. Mercer jumped out to a 10-0 advantage with goals by eight different Bears before Delaware State found the net for the first time with 9:36 remaining in the first half. Mercer took an 11-goal lead (13-2) into halftime after goals by Kendall Garrett, Audrey Robertson and Lily Morin closed out the half.
Goalie Dylan Malamala made three saves and did not allow a goal to Delaware State in a dominant second half for Mercer, which outscored the Hornets, 10-0, over the final 30 minutes.
PLAYER OF THE GAME
Caitlin Smith recorded a career-high six points, including three goals and three assists. The sophomore only took four shots, averaging a .542 shot percentage.
- Mercer outshot Delaware State, 39-8, and turned the ball over three fewer times than the Hornets (7-10).
- The Bears earned 19 draw controls compared to Delaware State's seven while also earning 10 groundballs and forcing five caused turnovers.
- Iseabal Cryne and Dylan Malamala played the separate halves, recording five total saves for the contest.
- 14 Bears scored including Katie Martin, who notched her first career goal.
- Mercer's 21-goal victory is the largest scoring margin of the season.
- Meghan Segreti notched a game-high seven draw controls, also adding one goal, one groundball and team-high two caused turnovers.
- Smith and Lindsey Zeltwanger helped Mercer notch a season-high 14 assists with three apiece. Zeltwanger also added four draw controls and two goals.
- Mercer: 7-10, 3-2 SoCon
- Delaware State: 0-14, 0-5 SoCon
Mercer will host the first inaugural Southern Conference Women's Lacrosse Championship at Five Star Stadium beginning on Thursday, May 3. The Bears await their first-round opponent as the final regular season contests will be played Saturday, April 28.