COLUMBUS, OHIO. (May 11, 2018) – After making its 12th straight NCAA appearance, the ETSU men’s tennis team fell to No. 3 ranked Ohio State 4-0 in the first round of the NCAA Tournament on Friday afternoon.
The Buckeyes rushed out to an early 1-0 team lead, as they won the first two doubles matches. Sergi Fontcuberta (Barcelona, Spain) and David Gonzalez (Barcelona, Spain) tried to claim a match, but the head-to-head match with Matt Mendez and Hunter Tubert went unfinished at 4-4.
Ohio State kept its momentum going in singles action. No. 96 ranked Kyle Seelig jumped out to win a 6-1, 6-2 match over Frazier Rengifo (Cali, Colombia). The Buckeyes’ No. 41 ranked JJ Wolf was able to get his team even closer after he defeated Fontcuberta 6-3, 6-1 at the No. 2 flight. Securing the match for the Buckeyes was No. 6 ranked Mikael Torpegaard. He picked up a 6-4, 6-3 win over Robert Herrera (Barcelona, Spain). Juan Lugo (Maracay, Venezuela), David Gonzalez and Tasei Miyamoto (Chiba, Japan) were in the middle of their matches before Ohio State was able to clinch.
ETSU concludes its season at 16-8 while Ohio State advances to 30-2 to take on Kentucky on Saturday, May, 12.
- #6 Mikael Torpegaard (OSU) def. Robert Herrera (ETSU) 6-4, 6-3
- #41 JJ Wolf (OSU) def. Sergi Fontcuberta (ETSU) 6-3, 6-1
- #92 John McNally (OSU) vs. Juan Lugo (ETSU) 6-2, 5-2, unfinished
- Tim Seibert (OSU) vs. David Gonzalez (ETSU) 6-2, 5-2, unfinished
- #96 Kyle Seelig (OSU) def. Frazier Rengifo (ETSU) 6-1, 6-2
- #112 Martin Joyce (OSU) vs. Tasei Miyamoto (ETSU) 6-4, 4-2, unfinished
- Martin Joyce/JJ Wolf (OSU) def. Juan Lugo/Tasei Miyamoto (ETSU) 6-2
- #61 Mikael Torpegaard/John McNally (OSU) def. Robert Herrera/Miguel Este (ETSU) 6-1
- Matt Mendez/Hunter Tubert (OSU) vs. David Gonzalez/Sergi Fontcuberta (ETSU) 4-4, unfinished
Ohio State 30-2; National ranking #3
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1); Singles (5,2,1)