ASHEVILLE, N.C. – No. 1 Wofford used a strong second half to get past upset-minded No. 2 UNCG in the Ingles Southern Conference Championship presented by General Shale. The Terriers came from behind for a 70-58 win Monday.
The Spartans led by as many as nine early and were ahead through the game’s first 28 minutes. Nathan Hoover’s three free throws with 12:37 left gave the Terriers their first lead, 40-39.
It was nip-and-tuck for the next seven minutes. UNCG went up five, 55-50, on Angelo Allegri’s drive in the lane with 5:41 to play. But it was all Wofford from there.
It closed the game on a 20-3 run. The Spartans were limited to 1-for-5 over nearly six minutes and 1-for-4 from the free-throw line over that spurt. Hoover was instrumental, scoring nine of his 20 points in that crucial ending.
Hoover and Fletcher Magee each tallied 20 for the winners. Cameron Jackson added 15 points, seven rebounds and five assists. Francis Alonso led all scorers with 21 for UNCG. Isaiah Miller chipped in 19.
The 20th-ranked Terriers await NCAA Selection Sunday. America anxiously awaits the March Madness bracket reveal at 6 p.m., Sunday on CBS.
No. 1 Wofford 29-4 | No. 2 UNCG 28-6
Most Outstanding Player: Fletcher Magee (Wofford)
First Team: Francis Alonso (UNCG), Isaiah Miller (UNCG), Nathan Hoover (Wofford), Cameron Jackson (Wofford), Fletcher Magee (Wofford)
Second Team: Tray Boyd III (ETSU), Jordan Lyons (Furman), Matt Rafferty (Furman), James Dickey (UNCG), Bubba Parham (VMI)
Pinnacle Award (highest GPA on championship-winning team)
Storm Murphy (Wofford)
3 Notes to Know
- Wofford wins its fifth SoCon tournament championship. The Terriers are 5-0 in the title tilt, all under Mike Young, capturing the crown in 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015 and 2019.
- UNCG falls to 2-3 in the finals. Played in the last three, winning in 2018 over ETSU and finishing runner in 2017 to the Bucs.
- The last SoCon team to complete the regular season undefeated AND win the tournament was Davidson’s 2008 squad that went 20-0, won the tourney and then advanced to the NCAA Elite 8.
3 Stats to Know
- 13 of Wofford’s final 15 points came at the free-throw line, where the Terriers made all 13 attempts in the final 4:05. The game was tied 55-55 with 4:05 to play before Wofford finished on a 15-3 run.
- The Spartans’ shooting splits were drastic between halves. They made the turn shooting 46.4 percent from the field, 55.6 percent (10-for-18) from inside the arc. That dropped to 28.0 percent (7-for-25), 0-for-6 from 3-point range.
- The Terriers were a +5 on the boards. That number was +8 in the pivotal second half. They scored 13 points on a mere six offensive rebounds, converting on all six.
2019 Ingles Southern Conference Men’s Basketball Championship presented by General Shale schedule
Friday, March 8 (ESPN+)
Game 1 - (8) VMI 96, (9) Western Carolina 83
Game 2 - (7) Samford 100, (10) The Citadel 71
Saturday, March 9 (ESPN+/Nexstar)
Game 3 - (1) Wofford 99, (8) VMI 72
Game 4 - (4) ETSU 68, (5) Chattanooga 64
Game 5 - (2) UNCG 77, (7) Samford 70
Game 6 - (3) Furman 85, (6) Mercer 74
Sunday, March 10 (ESPN+/Nexstar)
Game 7 - (1) Wofford 81, (4) ETSU 72
Game 8 - (2) UNCG 66, (3) Furman 62
Monday, March 11 (ESPN)
Game 9 - (1) Wofford 70, (2) UNCG 58