ORLANDO, Fla. – Western Carolina women’s tennis concluded its spring break trip in Orlando, Fla. with a 5-2 win over Bucknell. The Catamounts went 5-0 for the week.
Score: Western Carolina 5, Bucknell 2
Records: Western Carolina 10-6, Bucknell 9-3
Location: Orlando, Fla.
After dropping the doubles point, Western Carolina went on to win five of the six singles matches.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE:
- The Catamount duo of Jacy Smith and Julia Pezzuco got a 6-2 win at No. 2 doubles to get a leg up on the doubles point. However, Bucknell bounced back and took the matches at No. 1 and No. 3 doubles to take the point.
- With the Catamounts trailing 1-0 early, WCU went on to take a 3-1 lead with victories at No. 5, 6 and 1 singles.
- The Bison cut the Catamount lead to 3-2 with a win at No. 4 singles.
- Lauren McCall’s win at No. 3 singles, with a 7-5, 7-6 victory, clinched the match for the Catamounts.
- Western Carolina has won eight of its last nine matches and fifth straight.
- Rookie Smith has won eight-straight matches at No. 2 singles and 11 of her last 12. She currently leads the team with a 12-3 singles record.
- Junior Jordan Strickland won her 34th match in singles and remains in second place in the WCU record books. She needs four more wins to take over first place.
Western Carolina returns to action at 11 a.m. March 24 hosting Chattanooga at the Catamount Athletic Complex.