BIRMINGHAM, Ala. – The Samford men’s basketball team picked up its first win of the 2019-20 season with a 68-42 win over Kentucky Wesleyan on Thursday evening in the Pete Hanna Center.
With the win, Samford improves to 1-1 on the young season. The game counted as an exhibition game for Kentucky Wesleyan.
FROM THE BOX SCORE
• Brandon Austin led Samford with 17 points in the win.
• Robert Allen scored 14 points and grabbed eight rebounds.
• Jalen Dupree had 11 points and seven rebounds for the Bulldogs.
• Josh Sharkey dished out 10 assists, to go along with his seven points.
• For Kentucky Wesleyan, Mohamed Abu Arisha led the team with seven points.
• Samford got off to a hot start, scoring the first 11 points in the game to take an early 11-0 lead with 16:47 left in the first half after a free throw by Dupree.
• Kentucky Wesleyan fought back to close to within seven points at 18-11 with 10:25 to go in the first period following a jumper by Adam Goetz.
• Samford pushed its lead out to as many as 18 points in the first half at 33-15 with 2:24 left in the half.
• The Bulldogs took a 33-21 lead into the locker room at halftime.
• Samford opened the second half on an 18-4 run to take a 51-25 lead with 12:45 left after a layup by Donte Tatum.
• The Bulldogs pushed their lead out to 30 points at 59-29 with 10:26 left in the game after a three-point play by Allen.
• KWC could get no closer than 26 points the rest of the way and Samford came away with the 68-42 victory.
• Samford will play at Belmont Monday, Nov. 11. The game is scheduled for a 6:30 p.m. start from Nashville, Tenn.