#7 Appalachian State 4, #10 UNC Greensboro 1
CHARLESTON, S.C. – The #7 seeded Appalachian State University men’s tennis team defeated #10 UNC Greensboro, 4-1, Thursday in the opening round of the Southern Conference Championships hosted by The Citadel at the Farmfield Tennis Center.
With the win the Mountaineers improve to 13-9 on the season and extend their winning streak to five matches. The 13 wins are the most by a team under ASU head coach Bob Lake.
Junior Dimitar Dimitrov and senior Andrew Waters started the match off with their third-straight doubles victory
with an 8-1 defeat of Ryan Lewis and Jason Steinhorn at the No. 2 position.
Junior Alex Probst and sophomore Robert Hogewood the point for ASU with an 8-3 victory over Austin
Wilty and Ian Conchar at the No. 3 position.
Dimitrov extended Appalachian’s lead to 2-0, defeating Conchar, 6-1, 6-0, at the third singles flight. Lewis pulled the Spartans within one with a 6-0, 7-5 win over senior Andrew Taylor (Parkland, Fla.) at the No. 5 spot.
Hogewood picked up his fourth-straight singles win with a defeat of Steinhorn at No. 6. Sophomore Ryan Brookshaw (Pretoria, South Africa) clinched the match with a 6-4, 6-4 defeat of Martin Redelinghys at the No. 2 position.
The Mountaineers advance to the quarterfinals where they will meet No. 2 Furman on Friday, April 21 at 12:30 p.m. at the Earle Tennis Center on the campus of The Citadel.
Appalachian State University (ASU) 4, UNC Greensboro (UNCG) 1
1) Brookshaw/Taylor (ASU) vs. Ladoucuer/Redelinghys (UNCG), DNF
2) Dimitrov/Waters (ASU) def. Lewis/Steinhorn (UNCG), 8-1
3) Probst/Hogewood (ASU) def. Wilty/Conchar (UNCG), 8-3
1) Alex Probst (ASU) vs. Marc Ladoucuer (UNCG), DNF
2) Ryan Brookshaw (ASU) def. Martin Redelinghys (UNCG), 6-4, 6-4
3) Dimitar Dimtirov (ASU) def. Ian Conchar (UNCG), 6-1, 6-0
4) Andrew Waters (ASU) vs. Austin Wilty (UNCG), DNF
5) Ryan Lewis (UNCG) def. Andrew Taylor (ASU), 6-0, 7-5
6) Robert Hogewood (ASU) def. Jason Steinhorn (UNCG), 1-6, 6-4, Withdrawn
#8 Davidson 4, #9 Georgia Southern 1
CHARLESTON, S.C. — Eighth seeded Davidson defeated ninth seeded Georgia Southern 4-0 in the first round of the SoCon Championships, Thursday, Apr. 20 at the Farmfield Tennis Center. The win moved Davidson's record to 10-11 over, while the Eagles finished out their
year at 6-15.
The Wildcats #1 doubles team of sophomore Flaviu Simihaian and freshman Ethan Jaffee topped Joris De Weerdt and Vincent Patry 8-3. The #2 pairing of senior Joe Cheaney and Phillip Compeau grabbed an 8-6 win over Philip Prins and Neil Shrine, giving Davidson an early 1-0 lead.
In singles play, junior Jay Chitty senior Daniel Bermeo picked up straight set wins at the No. 5 and 2 spots, with Bermeo clinching the match. Chitty earned his fifth singles win of the season with a 6-1, 6-0 victory over Shrine and Bermeo won his second straight match with a 6-1, 6-1 win over Weerdt.
Jaffee earned the third and final singles win with a 6-2, 6-0 decision over Prins at No. 3 singles.
The Wildcats will now face the No. 1 seeded Elon Phoenix in the second round on Friday, Apr. 21 at 8:30 a.m. on the campus of the Citadel at the Earle Tennis Center.
#8 Davidson 4, #9 Georgia Southern 0
1) Simihaian/Jaffee (DAV) def. De Weerdt/Patry (GSU), 8-3
2) Joe Cheaney/Phillip Compeau (DAV) def. Prins/Shrine (GSU) , 8-6
3) Hanusz/Harden def. Bermeo/Hartman (DAV), 6-5 DNF
1) Flaviv Simihaian (DAV) def. Vincent Patry (GSU), 6-2, 2-1 DNF
2) Daniel Bermeo (DAV) def. Joris De Weerdt (GSU), 6-1, 6-1*
3) Ethan Jaffee (DAV) def. Philip Prins (GSU), 6-2, 6-0
4) Scott Myers (DAV) def. Jakub Hanusz (GSU), 6-1, 1-0 DNF
5) Jay Chitty (DAV) def. Neil Shrine (GSU), 6-1, 6-0
6) Matt Hartman (DAV) def. Daniel Harden (GSU), 7-5 DNF