HARROGATE, Tenn. – It was an exciting day for the ETSU women’s tennis team, as they picked up their first sweep of the season after toppling Lincoln Memorial 7-0. The Bucs now improve to 2-3 on the season, while Lincoln Memorial drops to 3-2.
Yi Chi Ma (Kaohsiung, Taiwan) and Melissa Esguerra (Derrimutt, Australia) kicked things off for the Bucs in doubles action with a 6-2 win. The freshmen duo of Alejandra Morales (Santiago, Chile) and Esther Guemes (Madrid, Spain) secured the doubles point for the Bucs with a 6-4 win. Also earning a 6-4 win in doubles was Alory Pereira (Sao Paulo, Brazil) and Ioanna Markesini (Athens, Greece) in the No. 1 spot.
After clinching the doubles point, Ma moved her momentum over into singles play and earned a 6-1, 6-0 win over Julia Valls. Alejandra Morales picked up her second win of the season with a 6-2, 6-0 win over Angelica Solano. Senior Alory Pereira continued to stay perfect at the No. 2 singles spot. She defeated Julia Loos 6-0, 6-3. The Bucs dominated the last three sets. Melissa Esguerra earned her first win after she won 6-2, 6-2 over Julia Zellner. At the No. 1 spot, Ioanna Markesini defeated Kristin Vogel with a 6-1, 6-4 win. Lastly, to wrap things up for the Bucs, freshman Esther Guemes won her match against Kiersten Waugh 6-2, 7-5. Markesini and Guemes both improved their singles records to 2-1.
After picking up back-to-back wins in the state of Tennessee, the Bucs will head to Akron, Ohio on Feb. 17 and 18. They will play West Virginia and Akron on this road trip.
- Ioanna Markesini (ETSUW) def. Kristin Vogel (LMU) 6-1, 6-4
- Alory Pereira (ETSUW) def. Julia Loos (LMU) 6-0, 6-3
- Yi Chi Ma (ETSUW) def. Julia Valls (LMU) 6-1, 6-0
- Melissa Esguerra (ETSUW) def. Julia Zellner (LMU) 6-2, 6-2
- Alejandra Morales (ETSUW) def. Angelica Solano (LMU) 6-2, 6-0
- Esther Guemes (ETSUW) def. Kiersten Waugh (LMU) 6-2, 7-5
- Alory Pereira/Ioanna Markesini (ETSUW) def. Johanna Delisse/Julia Loos (LMU) 6-4
- Yi Chi Ma/Melissa Esguerra (ETSUW) def. Kiersten Waugh/Kristin Vogel (LMU) 6-3
- Alejandra Morales/Esther Guemes (ETSUW) def. Angelica Solano/Julia Valls (LMU) 6-4
Lincoln Memorial 3-2
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (3,5,2,4,1,6)