AUBURN, Ala. – The Samford men's tennis team fell at Auburn by a score of 4-0 Sunday at the Yourbrough Tennis Center.
"Auburn is a tough team and we were able to compete well in some spots today," Samford head coach Rahim Esmail said. "We gave ourselves chances on a few courts, but came up short."
In doubles, Auburn claimed wins at the No. 1 and No. 2 positions to pick up the first point of the match. At No. 1 doubles, Olle Thestrup and Tad Maclean defeated Jake Faundez and Eduardo Lourido, 6-1. On the No. 2 court, Carles Sarrio and Diego Chavarria defeated Aleksandar Petrovic and Rossouw Norval, 6-1.
In singles, Auburn won at No. 2, No. 4 and No. 6 to secure the 4-0 win. At No. 2, Sarrio defeated Justin Ghavami, 6-2, 6-2. On the No. 4 singles court, Brandon Laubser defeated Norval, 6-0, 6-4. At No. 6 singles, Lorenzo Rodriguez defeated Max Rebol, 6-2, 6-2. The matches at No. 1, No. 3 and No. 5 were not finished.
"Jake and Aleks played solid first sets, and Rossouw got himself back into the match in the second set, but we couldn't capitalize," Esmail said. "We will get back to work this week and we hope to do some things better heading into our next match."
With the loss, Samford falls to 2-2. Auburn improves to 7-3 with the win.
Samford will return to action on Wednesday, Feb. 14, when the Bulldogs host Alabama A&M. The match is set for a 2 p.m. start from the Samford Tennis Center.
Auburn 4, Samford 0
1. Matteo De Vincentis (AUBURN) vs. Jake Faundez (SAM-M) 7-6 (7-4), 2-0, unfinished
2. Carles Sarrio (AUBURN) def. Justin Ghavami (SAM-M) 6-2, 6-2
3. Tad Maclean (AUBURN) vs. Eduardo Lourido (SAM-M) 6-3, 4-1, unfinished
4. Brandon Laubser (AUBURN) def. Rossouw Norval (SAM-M) 6-0, 6-4
5. Michael Durham (AUBURN) vs. Aleksandar Petrovic (SAM-M) 7-6 (7-4), 1-0, unfinished
6. Lorenzo Rodriguez (AUBURN) def. Max Rebol (SAM-M) 6-2, 6-2
1. Olle Thestrup/Tad Maclean (AUBURN) def. Jake Faundez/Eduardo Lourido (SAM-M) 6-1
2. Carles Sarrio/Diego Chavarria (AUBURN) def. Aleksandar Petrovic/Rossouw Norval (SAM-M) 6-1
3. Matteo De Vincentis/Alexander Rushin (AUBURN) vs. Max Rebol/Justin Ghavami (SAM-M) 4-2, unfinished