CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – The ETSU Buccaneers Men’s Tennis team saw its phenomenal season come to an end on Friday afternoon, falling to No. 17 South Carolina by the final score of 4-0 in Charlottesville, Va. in the opening round of the 2019 NCAA Men’s Tennis Championship. With the loss, the Bucs conclude their season with a 20-5 record.
The Gamecocks kicked off the match with a pair of wins in doubles play, claiming a 6-2 victory in the top slot followed by a 6-3 triumph in the No. 2 doubles position for the 1-0 lead.
South Carolina’s Daniel Rodrigues (#83) doubled the lead to 2-0 with a 6-2, 6-3 victory over ETSU’s Sergi Fontcuberta in the No. 2 singles slot. The Gamecocks then pulled one point closer in the No. 6 slot as Thomas Brown upended Miguel Este in straight sets, 6-2, 7-5. Este’s loss snapped a 16-match winning streak for the Venezuela junior. The match was clinched in the top singles slot as the No. 5 singles player, Paul Jubb, bested Frazier Rengifo 7-5, 6-3 to stretch the final to 4-0.
ETSU trailed after the first set in the two of the final three singles matches with Yusuf Khamis holding a 6-2 advantage after the first frame. The Bucs were deadlocked in even second sets in the final three matches.
- #5 Paul Jubb (SC) def. Frazier Rengifo (ETSU), 7-5, 6-3
- #83 Daniel Rodrigues (SC) def. Sergi Fontcuberta (ETSU), 6-2, 6-3
- Juan Lugo (ETSU) vs. Raphael Lambling (SC), 3-6, 6-5 unfinished
- Yusuf Khamis (ETSU) vs. Beau Pelletier (SC), 6-2, 5-5 unfinished
- David Gonzalez (ETSU) vs. Yancy Dennis (SC), 3-6, 4-4 unfinished
- Thomas Brown (SC) def. Miguel Este (ETSU), 6-2, 7-5
- #52 Daniel Rodrigues/Raphael Lambling (SC) def. Miguel Este/Juan Lugo (ETSU), 6-2
- Paul Jubb/Yancy Dennis (SC) def. Frazier Rengifo/Yusuf Khamis (ETSU), 6-3
- David Gonzalez/Sergi Fontcuberta (ETSU) vs. Beau Pelletier/Jake Beasley (SC), 4-5 unfinished
Match Notes: ETSU 20-4, South Carolina 18-9
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2); Singles (2,6,1)