The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga women's tennis team scored a 6-1 win over UT-Martin at the Manker-Patten Tennis Center today. The Mocs improved to 4-1 overall while the Skyhawks fell to 0-5 on the year. Chattanooga won the doubles point by taking the top two spots. UTC kept the momentum going with wins in each of the six first sets in singles.
"We had a good day today," stated head coach Chad Camper. "UT-Martin is a loud, aggressive team and I feel we played smart tennis. Annie Tarwater played a great match to end the day. This team is improving, but we have to keep developing on the court."
Junior Caroline Hall was first off at No. 3, followed by junior Tamri Chalaganidze at No. 4 and freshman Emma van Hee with the clinching win at No. 5. Senior Samantha Caswell followed that with a straight-sets win at No. 1.
UTM's only point came at No. 2, when junior Delaney Edwards was forced to retire due to a nagging injury.
The last match saw Tarwater score her first win in a dual at UTC. The sophomore from Texarkana, Texas, sat out last season after transferring from Arkansas-Fort Smith. Today she defeated Ohla Burak 6-2, 6-4.
Up next for the Mocs are a pair of road matches next weekend. UTC is at Presbyterian on Saturday, Feb. 17, followed by a Sunday match at Clemson. The next home match is March 3 against ETSU.
Chattanooga 6, UT-Martin 1
Feb 11, 2018 at Chattanooga, Tenn. (Manker-Patten Tennis Center)
1. Samantha Caswell/Emma Van Hee (UTC) def. A. Jumamukhambetova/Jemima Potter (UTM) 6-1
2. Delaney Edwards/Bogdana Zaporozhets (UTC) def. Jule Streif/Mizuki Sakurai (UTM) 6-3
3. Amelia Campbell/Andrea Plantada (UTM) def. Tamri Chalaganidze/Caroline Hall (UTC) 6-1
1. Samantha Caswell (UTC) def. A. Jumamukhambetova (UTM) 6-3, 6-3
2. Jemima Potter (UTM) def. Delaney Edwards (UTC) 2-6, 7-6 (7-5), retired
3. Caroline Hall (UTC) def. Jule Streif (UTM) 6-2, 6-2
4. Tamri Chalaganidze (UTC) def. Amelia Campbell (UTM) 6-0, 6-3
5. Emma Van Hee (UTC) def. Elina Geut (UTM) 7-5, 6-0
6. Annie Tarwater (UTC) def. Olha Burak (UTM) 6-2, 6-4
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (3,4,5,1,2,6)