BIRMINGHAM, Ala. – The Samford women's tennis team picked up a 4-1 win over cross-town rival UAB Thursday afternoon at the Samford Tennis Center.
With the win, Samford improves to 5-4. UAB falls to 3-6 with the loss.
UAB won the doubles matches at No. 1 and No. 2 to earn the first point of the match. At No. 3 doubles, Holly Horsfall and Amanda Kilduffwon by default.
In singles, Grace Jennings earned a 6-2, 6-4 win at No. 1 over Marlene Hermann. On the No. 2 court, Elsa Pool defeated Alex Shchipakina, 7-6, 6-2. At No. 3 singles, Natalia De Ugarte earned a 3-6, 6-4, 6-4 win over Jana Hecking. Mary Kathrine Lewis won by default on the No. 6 singles court to wrap up the 4-1 Samford win. The singles matches at No. 4 and No. 5 were not finished.
Samford will host Tulane Saturday. The match is set for a 12 p.m. start from the Samford Tennis Center and admission is FREE!
A full list of results from Thursday's match is below.
SAMFORD 4, UAB 1
1. Grace Jennings (SAM-W) def. Marlene Herrmann (UAB) 6-2, 6-4
2. Elsa Pool (SAM-W) def. Alex Shchipakina (UAB) 7-6, 6-2
3. Natalia De Ugarte (SAM-W) def. Jana Hecking (UAB) 3-6, 6-4, 6-4
4. Holly Horsfall (SAM-W) vs. Dominika Hrabalova (UAB) 6-3, 1-2, unfinished
5. Arianna Beltrame (SAM-W) vs. Megan Bertrands (UAB) 1-4, unfinished
6. Mary Kathrine Lewis (SAM-W) def. No player (UAB), by default
1. Marlene Herrmann/Alex Shchipakina (UAB) def. Elsa Pool/Natalia De Ugarte (SAM-W) 6-0
2. Jana Hecking/Dominika Hrabalova (UAB) def. Grace Jennings/Mary Kathrine Lewis (SAM-W) 6-4
3. Holly Horsfall/Amanda Kilduff (SAM-W) def. No player/No player (UAB), by default