Southern Conference Internship Program
The Southern Conference, an NCAA Division I intercollegiate athletic organization based in Spartanburg, South Carolina, will offer three paid internships for the upcoming academic year from August 2018 through June 2019. Candidates must have the ability to work within the framework of Southern Conference and NCAA regulations. The individuals chosen will have duties as assigned by the Commissioner, their direct supervisor and the internship coordinator. Southern Conference internships will include comprehensive experience in all areas of conference administration.
The Championships Assistant position will include some of the following duties:
• Championships: Assisting the Director of Championships with the administration of Conference championship events for the 22 sanctioned Conference sports; participation in coaches’ meetings; administration of corporate partner fulfillment at championships; working with the Conference’s championships site vendors; research projects and other duties as assigned.
• Trophies and Awards: Serving as the conference’s primary liaison for the production and distribution of all team and individual trophies and awards.
The Operations Assistant position will include some of the following duties:
• Video and Social Media: Assisting the Conference’s multimedia department in the creation of videos; assisting production of events on the SoCon Digital Network; marketing and branding of the Conference and its programs through social media; work in graphic design and other duties as assigned.
• Conference & NCAA Rules Compliance: Assisting the Associate Commissioner for Compliance with squad lists, record keeping, National Letter of Intent signings, occasional compliance-related videos and other duties as assigned.
The Media Relations Assistant position will include some of the following duties:
• Media Relations: Assisting with the compiling and managing of league statistics for selected sports; primary coordinator for the FCS Coaches weekly football poll; serving as the direct media relations contact for select sports; producing sport and event-related press releases; completing NCAA reporting forms; updating the Conference website and other duties as assigned.
• Championships: Assisting in operating conference championships and other special events.
Applicants should possess a bachelor's degree (advanced degree candidate preferred but not required), have practical experience in one of the three areas (media relations, championships administration, and/or general athletics department operations) and must have strong communication, organizational, and computer skills. Applicants must have the initiative and self motivation to complete tasks as assigned, working independently to meet deadlines. Each internship stipend is approximately $14,300 over an 11-month commitment.
Interested candidates should complete the online internship application found here.
Applications will be accepted from Feb. 1 through May 1, 2018, or until the positions have been filled, whichever is first. Women and ethnic minorities are encouraged to apply. The Southern Conference is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer.