CHARLESTON, S.C. – The Bulldogs avenged an early season loss to NCCU Monday night, downing the Eagles, 3-1.
Score: The Citadel 3, NCCU 1
Records: The Citadel 6-13, 0-6, NCCU 3-17, 2-4
Location: Charleston, S.C.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Bulldogs stumbled in the first set with multiple tack errors and dropped the set, 25-23.
- The second set included multiple three and four-point runs for the Bulldogs, good to hold off the Eagles for a, 25-16 victory.
- The Citadel put together six different three-point runs during the second set, broken up by single points by DSU.
- The Bulldog offense came out swinging in the third set, throwing down 15 kills in the set.
- The Eagles were held to just 11 points in the third set, one of the lowest scores by a Citadel opponent.
- The fourth set came down to an intense battle. The set started with multiple back-and-forth points.
- The 'Dogs jumped out to their biggest lead, eight points, at 16-8.
- NCCU rallied back late to take the lead and held match point three times in arrow before the Bulldogs came back to win the match, 26-24.
BY THE NUMBERS
- Freshman Maddy Cardenas had a standout night, recording 14 kills, a career-high, and a .778 hitting percentage.
- Mellanie King and Sharlissa De Jesus both recorded double-doubles on the night.
- Megan Fuhr nearly tied her season-high assists record with 47, she notched 48 earlier this season against Southern.
- Freshman Kenzie Kellerman also grabbed a season-high with seven assists.
"These matches can be good palette cleansers," said head coach Dave Zelenock. "This was a second match that was non-conference that would could try some different things. It was great to get a couple wins, but now we need to focus on the next match with a huge team like Wofford."
The Citadel hosts Wofford on Wednesday, Oct. 16 at 6 p.m.