CHARLESTON, S.C. – Freshman Ani Ford netted her first collegiate goal in the 79th minute off a corner kick from Suzuka Yosue and The Citadel women's soccer team battled hard in the final 31 minutes to find the go-ahead goal. However, the Bulldogs ultimately had to settle for a 1-1, double-overtime draw with USC Upstate Tuesday afternoon at Washington Light Infantry Field.
Score: The Citadel 1, USC Upstate 1 (2OT)
Records: The Citadel 2-2-1, USC Upstate 1-1-2
Series: The Citadel leads, 3-2-1 (3-0-1 in Charleston)
Location: WLI Field, Charleston, S.C.
KEY PLAYS (Scoring Summary)
26' – Emma Honis scored her third goal of the season off an assist from Abbie Ellis, who's shot ricocheted off the crossbar to the waiting Honis.
79' – Yosue took a corner kick that fell at the waiting foot of Ford, who immediately put the ball into the back of the net through heavy traffic.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Spartans started the game off by logging a pair of corner kicks that didn't result in a shot.
- Hannah Roth took the Bulldogs' first shot just over three minutes into the contest, setting up a pair of corner kicks by Yosue.
- USC Upstate managed to get their first shot off in the 11th minute, but Maddie Somogyi was there for her first save of the afternoon. Somogyi ended the game with eight saves.
- From there, the Bulldogs managed to outshoot the Spartans 11-4 in the remainder of the first half.
- Despite the heavy amount of offense from The Citadel, USC Upstate broke through with the go-ahead goal in the 26th minute.
- The Bulldogs came out firing on all cylinders in the second half, getting three shots off in the first six minutes.
- The 'Dogs out-shot the Spartans 17-7 in the second half alone.
- In the 79th minute, Ford was able to draw the Bulldogs even, breathing new life into the team.
- Despite the renewed energy for the home 'Dogs, the go-ahead goal never materialized.
- The Bulldogs ultimately outshot the Spartans 34-17, including 16-9 on frame.
- Yosue led all players with eight shots, including two on frame.
- Roth was second on the team with five shots, including two on goal.
- Ford, Ellie Burgess, Logan Dix, Marie Le Gallo and Taylor Diggs all finished the game with three shots.
- The 1-1 draw is the first tie for The Citadel since the 2013 team recorded two draws. The 'Dogs, under the direction of Bob Winch, worked to a 1-1 tie against Canisius and a 2-2 draw with Winthrop. Both decisions were at home.
- With the 1-1 draw, The Citadel remains undefeated at home against USC Upstate. The Bulldogs entered the game 3-0 at WLI Field against the Spartans.
- Ford becomes the fourth first-time goal scorer this season, joining Kate Manzione, Hayley Long and Marie Le Gallo. The four first-time goal scorers are tied for fifth most in program history. Last season, the Bulldogs had six first-time collegiate goal scorers, matching the 2002 and 2010 teams for tops in program history.
- Somogyi tied her career high with eight saves in the game.
The Bulldogs will next host Presbyterian on Sunday, Sept. 15. Kickoff is slated for 1 p.m. and will air on ESPN3.
GAME WITH JACKSONVILLE ADDED
The Citadel has added a game with Jacksonville University as a makeup for one of the two games canceled by Hurricane Dorian. The Bulldogs and Dolphins will face off at WLI Field on Sunday, Sept. 22. Kickoff will be at 1 p.m.