BIRMINGHAM, Ala. – The Samford women's basketball team picked up a 73-47 win against Montevallo Tuesday night in the team's final non-conference game of the season in the Pete Hanna Center.
With the win, Samford improves to 5-10 on the season. Montevallo falls to 8-6 with the loss.
- Katie Allen led Samford with a career-high 19 points
- Allen made 6-of-10 shots from the floor, including a 5-of-8 effort from three-point range.
- Natalie Armstrong scored 17 points and grabbed 10 rebounds
- Paige Serup also scored 17 points for the Bulldogs.
- Aaliyah Rice led Montevallo with nine points.
- Kourtnie Smith added eight points and nine rebounds for the Falcons.
- The game was tight early in the first quarter.
- With Samford leading, 6-4, the Bulldogs closed the quarter with an 8-0 run to take a 14-4 lead at the end of the first period.
- Samford stretched its lead to 18 points at 35-17 with 2:15 to go in the second quarter following a layup by Armstrong.
- The Bulldogs took a 38-20 advantage into the locker room at halftime.
- The teams traded baskets through most of the third quarter.
- Samford closed the quarter with an 8-0 run to take a 56-33 lead into the fourth quarter.
- The Bulldogs led by as many as 34 points at 71-37 with 4:09 to go.
- Samford wrapped up the game with a 73-47 victory.
- Samford will open Southern Conference play by playing at Mercer on Jan. 12. The game is scheduled for a 1 p.m. (CT) start from Macon, Ga.